I recently found a great recipe for double-cut pork chops. This used a spice rub from Dizzy Pig that is inaccessible where I live, so I made my own rub based on the ingredients of their product. It resulted in some of the finest pork chops I have ever tasted. Enjoy!
Glazed Double-Cut Pork Chops with a Spice Rub
|10 mins prep
60-80 mins cook
|Triple cooked chips|
|Smoky Pinot Noir
Sourcing Double Cut Pork Chops
Double cut pork chops are two pork chops ribs on the bone. Ask your local butcher to prepare some for you. In doing so, ask them to trim the chine bone so that it is flat, allowing the pork chop to stand upright when cooking. I also have the skin and most of the top layer of fat removed as well, that’s personal preference.
This cut was new to me, I found it from the original recipe with a Dizzy Pig rub is from the Egg Head Forum. It’s now how we cook pork most of the time.
- Two small mixing bowls
- Kitchen foil
- Measuring spoons
- Kitchen thermometer or similar (optional, recommended)
- Cast iron pan/griddle
Pork and Glaze
- 2 double-cut pork chops, skin and most top fat removed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- Apple smoking chunk
I use Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin for this recipe. If you can’t get hold of this, the following is a close approximation.
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black and red pepper
The start is the same for Big Green Egg and oven, then they have different methods. When serving, if this is for four people simply cut the pork chops in half length-ways.
- Preheat the oven or Big Green Egg (indirect setup) to 135°C/275°F. If using an Egg, when the coals are glowing and the temperature is stable, toss on an apple smoking chunk and wait for the thin blue line of smoke.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rub by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the pork chops all over with the rub. Mix the honey and mustard powder together in a small bowl and set aside.
- When the oven/Egg is at temperature, place the pork chops inside with the ribs facing down. Cook for 60-70 mins, or until the internal temperature of the chops is 63°C/145°F. Check that the juices are running clear when poked with a skewer.
- Remove the pork chops from the oven/Egg and wrap loosely in two layers of kitchen foil.
- In preparation to sear the pork chops:
- For the Egg, remove the platesetter and return the grid for direct cooking. Get the Egg to 300°C/570°F.
- For oven cooking, heat up a cast iron pan/griddle on a stove to high temperature.
- Unwrap the chops, coat sides lightly with the glaze prepared earlier. Sear both sides for 1-2 mins, ensuring they do not burn.
Hints and Tips
- The pork can be brined prior to cooking. To do this, mix 1 litre of water with 3 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp of sugar for four hours, then dry them in a cat-free room for 2 hours.
- When the pork is ready to be served, slice down the middle to separate. If the inside is not quite done, put back into the BGE or under the grill for a few minutes.
- Wrap the BGE platesetter in kitchen foil to stop drips. Or use a drip tray.