After thoroughly enjoying the delicious Jamaican jerk spatchcock chicken, it was clear that spiced rubs can enrich a meal. The “Life of Spice” company offer a range of rubs to enhance flavours. I tried five individual rubs on some chicken legs, all distinct and very tasty.
Life of Spice Chicken Legs
I cooked these direct on our Big Green Egg (BGE), it could probably be done on a normal BBQ. The next day I cooked some in an oven for comparison, the rub flavour was good but the chicken was not as moist. This led to the rub tasting quite dry.
- Olive oil
- Life of Spice rubs (details of the rubs are below)
- Chicken legs
- Pre-heat you chosen cooking appliance.
- Set up the BGE for direct cooking at 190°C/375°F. If using a Minimax, ensure that there is a decent gap between the coals and the cooking grid.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F (or 180°C/355°F for fan oven).
- Brush each chicken leg with 1 tsp of olive oil, and then lightly coat with a teaspoon of a Life of Spice rub.
- Use plastic gloves to rub into the chicken skin, wash gloves after each use.
- Repeat above step with a different rub for each chicken leg.
- Cook chicken legs for 45 minutes or until internal temperature for each of them is at least 74°C/165°F. Ensure that the juices run clear.
- If using a BGE, flip the legs over and cook skin-side down for 2-3 minutes.
For the large BGE, I use a couple of fire bricks raise the grid to the felt line. This makes it easier to manipulate the chicken.
Life of Spice Rubs
- Memphis Belle
- Sweet Home Alabama
- Savannah Gold
- Much Adobo About Nothing
- Kansas City Rib Rub
They had markedly different tastes, if I had to choose a favourite it would be the Savannah Gold. The Sweet Home Alabama was also very good, it has Oregano, Basil and Sage for a lovely savory note.