A crusty, tasty roll or baguette can be a delicious alternative as the wrapper of the lunchtime sandwich. And it’s hardly practical to eat a burger between two slices of bread.
Make your own crusty rolls and baguettes at home with this simple recipe.
Homemade Crusty Bread Rolls and Baguettes
- Baking tray or pizza stone
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring jug
- Mixing bowl
- Timer (kitchen, phone app)
A perforated French bread pan can be used instead of a baking tray to make baguettes. When I used one for the first time it answered a question I had pondered for a long while … why do some baguettes have dimples on the bottom? Now I know.
- 600g strong white bread flour
- 450ml warm water (300ml cold + 150ml boiling)
- 1 sachet dry instant yeast (or 2 tsp from a jar)
- 2 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Olive oil
- Put dry ingredients in bowl. Add water, mix together into a wet dough. Cover bowl.
- Rest the dough in the bowl for 20 mins.
- Stretch and knead dough on lightly oiled surface for 15 seconds. Return to bowl, cover.
- Repeat previous two steps twice.
- Return to bowl, cover, leave until dough has doubled in size.
Shaping Dough Into Rolls
- Carefully turn dough onto a lightly oiled surface without compressing the dough.
- With a dough scraper or sharp knife, break off a piece of dough. As a rough guide, the final roll will be 2.5 – 3 times larger than this.
- With each piece, hand-roll into a bun or small baguette shape.
- Place seam side down on floured baking tray/French bread pan (or baking parchment if using a pizza stone).
- Cover, leave until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (220°C for non-fan, using non-fan is recommended).
- For baguettes, score top of dough with knife down length.
- Spray water on top of rolls.
- Add moisture to the oven (very important).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200°C fan/220°C non-fan, until crusts are a golden brown.
- Cool on a rack.
Hints, Tips and Pictures
- The rolls will expand sideways when they rise so leave a good gap between them.