Bored of having the same chips/fries every time? Try kicking it up a notch … or three … by adding some tasty chopped parsley and truffle oil, along with a mayonnaise dip on the side. Delicious.
Truffle and Parsley Chips
- Large saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Baking dish
- Small serving bowl
- Deep-fat fryer (or large pan)
- Thin kitchen spatula
- Cooling rack
- Mixing or salad bowl
- Potato peeler (optional)
There are several deep fat fryers available from Amazon and other retailers.
- 1 kg potatoes (Maris Piper, King Edward)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp duck or goose fat
- Sunflower oil
- 1.5 tsp truffle oil
- Chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- Peel and chip the potatoes, then wash them with water until the water is clear.
- Put the baking dish in oven. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C for fan).
- Boil chips in hot water for five minutes, then drain them. Gently rocking the chips in their saucepan to rough up edges.
- When the oven is ready, remove the baking dish from oven, add duck/goose fat. Distribute the chips into the baking dish, lightly coating with fat. Bake chips in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish at intervals, rock dish to prevent chips sticking.
- Fry the chips in deep fat fryer at 180°C/355°F until done, then decant them onto drying rack.
- Add 1 tsp of truffle oil to a mixing bowl, smear around the surface. Add dried chips to bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and salt, toss to lightly coat with truffle oil.
- Add 4 tbsp mayonnaise to a small serving bowl, mix in 0.5 tsp truffle oil for a dip.
Hints, Tips and Pictures
- See the triple cooked duck fat chips blog post for general hints.
- Sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese on instead of the parsley.
- The truffle oil pairs well with roast duck lightly coated with Dizzy Pig Game On rub.