I made some focaccia a while ago. It was pretty good and tasted pleasant with some balsamic vinegar dipping sauce. How to improve on this? Add some bacon! Or in this case, delicious smoked pancetta. And throw a few vine-ripened cherry tomatoes in for good measure.
Focaccia with Smoked Pancetta and Tomatoes
- Baking tray with sides*
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring jug
- Mixing bowl
- Timer (kitchen, phone app)
- Kitchen cloth or plastic carrier bag
- Kitchen towel
- Small sharp knife
- Cooling rack
*A 30cm/12inch Swiss roll tray is a good-sized baking tray for this recipe.
- 600g strong white flour
- 450ml warm water (325ml cold, 125ml boiling)
- 1 sachet dry instant yeast (or 2 tsp from a jar)
- 2 tsp salt
- 100ml olive oil (75ml dough/25ml topping)
- 200-300g uncooked smoked pancetta*
- 6-10 cherry tomatoes
- Cornmeal/polenta (optional)
- Rosemary and sea salt to finish
* Smoked thick cut bacon with the rind removed also worked.
- Put flour, salt and yeast in bowl. Add water, mix together into a wet dough. Cover bowl.
- Rest the dough in the bowl for 30 mins. Cook, drain and dry the pancetta.
- Add 75ml olive oil to bowl
- Combine oil into dough by folding dough over in bowl. Cover bowl.
- Rest the dough and oil mixture for 30 mins.
- Repeat previous two steps one more time.
Shaping the Focaccia
- Turn dough and residual oil onto clean worksurface.
- Spread dough into rectangle and distribute pancetta evenly.
- Fold the dough back onto itself by thirds. Return to bowl, cover, leave for 30 mins.
- Oil a baking tray and dust with cornmeal/polenta (or flour).
- Repeat stretch and fold of dough on worksurface, then put dough in centre of tray.
- Spread dough out evenly until it is rectangular and flat.
- Cover tray with clingfilm and leave for 30 minutes to spread out in the tray.
Baking the Focaccia
- Preheat oven to 180°C (200°C for non-fan, using non-fan is recommended).
- Brush top of dough with 25ml olive oil.
- With the tip of your finger pointing straight down, dimple dough in a regular pattern.
- Put a halved cherry tomato into each dimple hole.
- Sprinkle top of dough with chopped rosemary and crushed sea salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a rack.
Hints, Tips and Pictures
- The dough is oily, food grade disposable gloves can be used when manipulating it.
- If you have a pizza stone, put this in the oven when pre-heating to warm up. When the focaccia has been cooking for 10 minutes, carefully remove it from the baking tray with a wide spatula and put it directly onto the pizza stone.
- The pancetta can be dried with kitchen towel prior to adding to the dough.
- Sprinkle some Dizzy Pig Shakin’ The Tree rub on instead of (or as well as) salt for an extra flavour dimension.
- The dough may not spread evenly when first put into the baking tray. It will expand during the final rise to form a rectangle.