I’ve been working in Switzerland for most of this week, and whilst it’s been a lot of fun and hard work combined, very little time to do anything constructive with a new recipe. So instead, a simple lunch of ultra crispy chicken legs.
Ultra Crispy Chicken Legs
I cooked this in a Big Green Egg, it can be done in an oven as well. No other equipment needed when using the Egg. If you’re cooking in an oven you’ll need a roasting tray.
- 4 x chicken leg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1 tbsp Down and Dizzy rub (optional)
- 1 tbsp Whirly Bird rub (optional)
I used the Down and Dizzy and Whirly Bird rubs for this cook. They are both made by Dizzy Pig, and marketed by Big Green Egg.
The first two steps dry out the skin to make it ultra crispy, check out this post on the Serious Eats website. It is perfectly safe to leave chicken on an open plate overnight as bacteria is transmitted by touch. Ensure that you thoroughly wash your hands after handling raw poultry.
- In the morning (or preferably the night before) dry the chicken legs with kitchen towel and trim off excess skin. Mix the salt and baking powder and sprinkle it over the chicken legs.
- Place the chicken legs on a wide plate. Put the plate on the bottom shelf of the fridge, leaving it covered.
- Heat up an oven or Big Green Egg (indirect setup) to 160°C/320°F.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken legs from the fridge. Dust off any excess salt/baking powder mixture. Sprinkle rubs over the chicken (if being used)
- Place the chicken legs into the oven/Egg. Cook for 40-45 mins, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 74°C/165°F.
- Serve with creamy coleslaw.