It’s said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet in our house it was seldom more than cereal or toast, downed rapidly with a morning coffee before rushing out to work.
In an effort to breakfast less ordinary, I decided to start doing some more interesting recipes. Starting with some tasty banana and blueberry French toast.
Banana and Blueberry French Toast
- Roasting tray
- Frying pan
- Measuring jug
- Two stiff spatulas
- Knife and spoon
- 2 ripe bananas
- Brioche loaf
- 150g blueberries
- Maple syrup
- Agave syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp powdered cinnamon
- 1 tbsp powdered nutmeg
- 4 figs
- Icing sugar
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add milk, powdered cinnamon and nutmeg, mix together. Decant liquid into a roasting tray big enough to hold eight slices of brioche bread.
- Place eight slices of brioche bread into roasting tray, leave to soak for 5-6 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut bananas in half and slice down length. Layer banana pieces onto four brioche slices. Then add fig flesh and blueberries. Drizzle agave and maple syrup on top of blueberries/fig flesh.
- Place other four brioche slices on top of those with ingredients on to form sandwiches. Press down gently with a spatula.
- Warm some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Using a spatula, carefully move sandwiches from roasting tray to frying pan. Fry for 3 mins.
- Using two spatulas, carefully flip sandwiches over, fry on other side for 3 mins.
- Plate and dust with icing sugar, garnish with blue berries and drizzle some maple syrup.
Hints, Tips and Pictures
- Laying out the brioche slices in a roasting tray makes assembling the sandwiches very easy. Simply place the ingredients on one piece, drizzle the syrups on the other piece and then make a sandwich.